Can India win World Cup 2023? If you are a die-hard Indian cricket team fan, then this question must be rising continuously in your mind after India’s horror show in the World Test Championship Final 2023. Clearly, India’s continual failures in ICC tournaments since 2013 are raising so many doubts in the minds of Indian cricket fans about their chances in the upcoming ICC ODI World Cup 2023 in India.
But, the beauty of this sport is that it always gives you an opportunity to showcase your temperament and prove your class once again to the world. I am sure that Indian team will definitely look at World Cup 2023 to regain their lost shine in world cricket.
In this blog, I am going to analyze the Indian Cricket Team fortunes in the World Cup 2023. We will see what stops the Indian team from achieving glory and how can India win world cup 2023.
But, first we need to understand why Indian cricket team has failed in the ICC tournaments since 2013?
Why India Fails in ICC tournaments?
In world cricket, India’s team was always highly rated when it came to ICC tournaments. But now people asking questions like “Can India win world cup 2023”, seriously breaks my heart. From all the ICC tournaments in past 10 years, I have picked out these 5 common reasons of failures –
- Poor squad selection- It is evident that, before any ICC tournament, the squads selected by the team India selectors have always faced heat. Sometimes they drop their best players, on other occasions they pick some inexperienced players. Ex-> Baseless omission of Rayudu & Chahal from CWC 2019 & T20 WC 2021 squads respectively still don’t make any sense.
- Poor XI selection- And same with the Indian team, before any big match, with the intent of doing something different, team India has picked baseless XI many times. It has happened very recently in the WTC final 2023 where team India dropped India’s best bowler Ravichandran Ashwin.
- Batting Collapse- This is the common reason out of 5. In every big match whether you pick CWC semi finals, Champion trophy finals, WTC finals India top order has always collapsed in just a few overs.
- Inconsistent Bowling- In many occasions, after the brilliant start with the bowlers, Indian bowlers have failed to match this consistency throughout the match. Ex-> WTC final 2023 & T20 world cup semi final 2022.
- Unable to take Pressure- If you look at the bigger picture, out of 9 ICC tournaments in the past 10 years, Indian team has reached the Knockout stage 8 times. This clearly indicates that Indian team has failed immensely in soaking the pressure of big matches. While playing like giants throughout the league stage, Indian team has faced humiliating defeats in knockout matches even against weak oppositions.
Who are the members of India World Cup squad 2023?
Now the answer to the question “can India win world cup 2023?” depends upon the strengths along with the weaknesses of the participating squad of India. We also need to look at the advantages India will have in this world cup. Therefore, let’s see the probable squad of India for ICC cricket world cup 2023.
Since, ICC has set the final deadline of 5 september for every cricket board for submitting their squad for the world cup, the official squad of Indian team is yet to be announced by the BCCI. There will be too much tussle for the selectors this time while selecting the squad, as they have been criticized many times for their ICC tournaments selection before.
As there are still uncertainties about the availability of star players like Jasprit Bumrah, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer due to their respective injuries, It will be quite challenging for the team management to select a balanced squad for the biggest cricket event if they will not recover in time.
In the midst of this, I have selected the probable Indian squad for CWC ’23 on the basis of history, current form, skills & temperament. I hope you will not witness any other names apart from below in the official squad.
Batters: Rohit Sharma (C), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav
Wicket-keepers: Ishan Kishan, Kl Rahul, Sanju Samson
All-Rounders: Hardik Pandya (VC), Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar
Bowlers: Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Umran Malik, Shardul Thakur
What are the Strengths of Indian Cricket Team?
By analyzing the previous ODIs matches of India, Individual player impact, and conditions, I feel team India will land in this world cup with these 5 strengths-
- In-form Openers- In the last 3-4 ODI series at home against Sri Lanka, New Zealand & Australia, Team India Openers Rohit Sharma & Young Shubhman Gill have formed many big opening partnerships, which leads India to achieve high scores.
- Virat Forms- Virat has overcome his horrible stint to return to his sublime form like before and shown enough promise in the last few ODI matches & IPL 2023. As the no. 3 position is very important for a tournament like the world cup.
- Top Class Spinners- It is evident that, India pitches has historically favored spin bowling and with the likes of quality spinners India have i.e Chahal, Kuldeep, Jadeja, team India spin bowling department is looking quite good.
- In-form Fast Bowlers- In the absence of Bumrah, Mohammad Siraj has shown too much class with his bowling whether in powerpaly or in death overs. Mohammad Shami is also in top class from the past few years.
- Bumrah’s Comeback- Acc. to Reports, Jasprit Bumrah is all set to make his comeback for the marquee event. This will be a major boost for the whole Indian team & the fast bowling group.
What are the Weaknesses of Indian Cricket Team?
What halted team India’s world cup chances, are their major weaknesses. If Indian team wants to win this world cup, then they need to overcome these 5 big weakness-
- Missing Wicket Keeper- After WTC final, Rishabh Pant is most probably all set to miss this world cup too. KL Rahul injury during IPL has also worsened this case. Till now there is no clarity about the wicket-keeper.
- No. 4 Position- India’s defeat in CWC’19 can be owed to No. 4 batting position. It is embarrassing that even after 4 years, India is yet to solve this problem. With Shreyas Iyer at 4, India seemed too confident, but his injury has destroyed this case also.
- Injuries & Match Practice- There is no official confirmation till yet on the status of injury of big players about when they will return. If they return, then the match practice will be another question, team India has to face. We all know that it is not easy for any sportsman to make a solid comeback just after injury.
- No Solid Finishers- In Spite of having big players like Hardik Pandya & Ravindra Jadeja, Team India’s Finishing department is not looking too promising in comparison with other teams.
- Less Left handed Batters- Left-handed batters are always important for any team. If you don’t think so then remember the superb performances of Yuvraj Singh & Ben Stokes in the world cup’s 2011 & 2019 respectively, which led their teams to achieve glory. After Rishabh Pant Injury, India has only one Left-Hander in the form of an all rounder .i.e. Ravindra Jadeja.
Good News! Because, India is HOST, India is going to enter into this world cup with many big advantages. This includes
- Home Advantage- This will be the best perk for team India in this world cup. Team India will be more familiar than any other teams about the pitches, grounds and conditions. This will allow them to create better strategies than the other teams. At the same time, Indian batters know better than others about which ball to hit and which to leave. Same with the Indian bowlers, they know which length & line to target to get batters out.
- No burden of hopes- If you ask 10 Indian cricket team fans, “can India win world cup 2023?”, 8 might say NO. This seems quite negative, but it can be very beneficial for the players. If more & more people will hope like they did in CWC ’19, team India will be under more pressure during the event which can halt their performance. That’s why I believe, people not hoping too much from India, is a blessing in disguise.
- Crowd Support- This might seem quite irrelevant, as there is no place in the world where the India cricket team couldn’t get any support from their loyal fans, whether they play in Australia, England, or even in the West Indies. But, Crowd support in India will be more intense which can surely motivate players to perform at their best.
- Scheduling- Being a host, allows a team to play their important matches at their desired stadium to get benefits from the pitch conditions and India has done this very smartly. India will play their matches against England & Australia at spin friendly pitches. Look at the full fixtures of India in CWC’23.
Can India win world cup 2023?
The strengths with which India, will take the field in this world cup are absolutely phenomenal. I don’t find any other participating team with the quality spin bowling department like India has. India’s top order has played immensely well in India in the last 4-5 years which surely is a major confidence booster for India. At the same time, Jasprit Bumrah entry can prove very game changing for India.
However, if you look at Indian team weaknesses and India’s history in ICC tournaments in the past 10 years, then they are not very promising. One of the biggest problems of India in these types of tournaments is that they perform very poor in high pressure situations & matches. Either they choked in batting via collapse or gave disastrous bowling performances in pressure conditions. Seeing this, Indian Cricket Team chances of winning ICC ODI world cup 2023 looks very thin.
How can India win World Cup 2023?
Nothing is impossible in this mighty universe. There’s always a way out. & So for team India. This Indian team is full of match winners from No. 1 to No. 11. Each one can win a match on his own for India on their day. If the Indian team somehow overcomes these 3 problems in this world cup, then I can’t find any reason to see Indian team’s photo of holding glorious World Cup Trophy on this 19 November and end their ICC trophy drought of 10 years.
- Play their natural & fearless game even in pressure situations.
- No. 4 batter & Wicket keeper perform well.
- Injured players come back & perform well.
What do you think, “Can India win world cup 2023?” if “YES” then how? “What are key players for India in this world cup?” Drop your answers in the comment box. Share your opinions about India’s chances in this world cup. For more interesting content, please join me at cricketpunch.com
As a passionate cricket enthusiast, I have been immersed in the world of cricket for the past 13 years. Through my cricket blogging website, I aim to share my love and knowledge of the game, providing engaging content for fellow cricket fans to enjoy. – Somesh lakhera