In cricket history, the number of ICC trophies won by India is 5. Although even after not winning any ICC trophy since 2013, Indian cricket team currently sits second in list of most ICC trophies won by a cricket nation. Winning ICC trophy means a lot for any cricketing nation. As Players, people of that nation feels proud to be called as “World Champions”.
The dynamics of ICC tournaments are so interesting, that 15 minute of poor play can eliminate any team from the tournament. Hence, that’s why winning even a single ICC trophy is very difficult.
Indian cricket team is very fortunate to take the essence of holding ICC trophy not once, but 5 times. Meanwhile, in this article, we are going to look at all the ICC trophies won by india with some interesting facts from each tournaments.
Before going through this list, first take a look at all the ICC major trophies.
List of ICC trophies
Currently, International Cricket Council rewards teams with the ICC trophy for winning any of these 4 tournaments:
- ICC Cricket World Cup(ODI)
- ICC T20 World Cup
- ICC Champions Trophy(ODI)
- ICC World Test Championship
Now, Let’s look at all the ICC trophies won by India in detail.
List of ICC trophies won by India
1> ICC Cricket World Cup(1983)
Winning 1983 world cup is still one of the greatest underdog story in cricket. Apart from those 14 players, majority fans & cricket experts had already ruled out team India before the start of tournament, but Indian team led by 24 year old Kapil Dev proved them wrong.
Kapil Dev and his team put up a great fight throughout the tournament by beating the likes of West Indies, Australia, England and finally clinch the prestigious world cup trophy by defeating defending champions West Indies in finals at iconic Lord’s Stadium of London. Eventually, This was the 1st trophy out of 5 ICC trophies won by india.
- Surprisingly, the actual name of this tournament was Prudential World Cup’83 which was latter referred as ICC Cricket World Cup.
- During 80’s, ODI format involves 60 overs/side, hence, this tournament was played with the 60 overs/side rule.
- Back in 1983, Lata Mangeshkar helped the BCCI to raise cash rewards for the 1983 World Cup-winning team by doing a concert. Each member of the WC-winning side received Rs 1 lakh each from the board.
Journey to Glory:
- Match 1 – IND v WI, India won by 34 runs
- Match 2 – IND v ZIM, India won by 5 wickets
- Match 3 – IND v AUS, India lost by 162 runs
- Match 4 – IND v WI, India lost by 66 runs
- Match 5 – IND v ZIM, India won by 31 runs
- Match 6 – IND v AUS, India won by 118 runs
- Semi Final – IND v ENG, India won by 6 wickets
- The Final – IND v WI, India won by 43 runs
- Top Batter: Kapil Dev(303 runs)
- Top Bowler: Roger Binny(18 Wickets)
Check the 1983 World Cup Final Scorecard here.
2> ICC Champions Trophy(2002)
ICC Champions Trophy is ODI format based tournament which is played between 8 best teams of world. But, Whenever you & I talk about ICC trophies won by india, we don’t even mention about this championship. But Why? because the clear winner of this tournament was not decided & trophy was shared between India & Sri Lanka as rain interrupt the match not just once, but twice.
Under the leadership of Sourav Ganguly, young Indian team fought hard in the group stage & top their pool. With a thrilling 10 run over South Africa in semi final, India reached Final to face tournament favourites & host Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka made 244/5 and India scored 14/0 before the rain interrupt the final & shift it to reserve day. Sri Lanka made 222/7 in the new game, and India were at 38/1 in 8.4 overs when the game ended due to rain. As a result, both Asians giants were adjudged joint winners. Many cricket experts believed that, India would have won this match, if rain didn’t interrupts the match. Along with captain Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Ajit Agarkar, Virendra Sehwag and many others were part of this champion squad.
Interesting Fact – ICC Champions Trophy 2002 is the only ICC tournament till now where trophy was shared between two teams.
Journey to Glory:
- Match 1 – IND v ZIM, India won by 14 runs
- Match 2 – ENG v IND, India won by 8 wickets
- Semi Final – IND v SA, India won by 10 runs
- The FInal – IND v SL, No result
- Top Batter: Virender Sehwag(271 runs)
- Top Bowler: Zaheer Khan(8 Wickets)
Check the 2002 Champions Trophy Final Scorecard here.
3> ICC T20 World Cup(2007)
This was the inaugural edition of T20 world cup, where young Indian team clinch the 3rd ICC trophy for India. As senior players like Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid opts out of playing this tournament, the young time includes the likes of Robin Uthappa, Gautam Gambhir, Joginder Sharma was send to South Africa under the leadership of 26 year old, MS Dhoni. Team India never disappoints fans from the start and top the group stage which includes famous bowl out win against Pakistan.
In the super 8, India again top their pool and beat Australia in semi finals to clinch Final ticket. India faced archrivals Pakistan in the Finals and made 157/5 in the first inning. They dismissed Pakistan for 152 and won their maiden T20 title, which was their third ICC tournament win. This world champion’s squad includes Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Harbhajan Singh and many others. Off all the ICC trophies won by India, this is the only ICC trophy of T20 format.
Interesting facts about this ICC trophy won by India-
- In this tournament, bowl out was used for first & last time in history of cricket, to decide the winner of international match in case of tie.
- Indian opener, Rohit Sharma was playing the role of finisher in this tournament.
- Yuvraj Singh 6 sixes in an over record was made in this tournament.
Journey to Glory-
- Match 1 – IND v SCO, No result
- Match 2 – IND v PAK, India won in ball out
- Match 3 – IND v NZ, India lost by 10 runs
- Match 4 – IND v ENG, India won by 18 runs
- Match 5 – IND v SA, India won by 37 runs
- Semi Final – IND v AUS, India won by 15 runs
- The Final – IND v PAK, India won by 5 runs
- Top Batter: Gautam Gambhir(227 runs)
- Top Bowler: RP Singh(12 wickets)
Look at 2007 T20 World Cup Final Scorecard here.
4> ICC Cricket World Cup(2011)
This world cup trophy has separate fan base from all ICC trophies won by India. Why? because this championship helps India to end 28 year drought of ODI World cup trophy. Lots of emotion were joined to this ICC trophy, as it was the last world cup for many players including legend Sachin Tendulkar. Many fans still get goosebumps(even I am getting while writing) after watching Skipper Dhoni SIX over long-on & listening that Ravi Shastri Commentary and how whole India celebrated after winning that triumph.
Host India were looking horns throughout the tournament and lose only 1 match against favourites South Africa. After beating Australia & Pakistan in quarter final & semi final respectively, India booked their tickets to final to face Sri Lanka in Wankhede Stadium. Thanks to brilliant batting efforts of Gautam Gambhir & Captain MS Dhoni, India successfully chased down target of 275 and achieve this glory.
- This was the first ODI world cup tournament which was won by host nation and this trend remains continue in 2015, 2019 world cup.
- After losing 5 back-2-back world cups, Sachin finally won the world cup in his final attempt.
- Yuvraj Singh played whole championship with the symptoms of cancer.
Journey to Glory-
- Match 1 – IND v BL, India won by 87 runs
- Match 2 – IND v ENG, Match Tied
- Match 3- IND v IRE, India won by 5 wickets
- Match 4 – IND v NEL, India won by 5 wickets
- Match 5 – IND v SA, India lost by 3 wickets
- Match 6 – IND v WI, India won by 80 runs
- Quarter Final – IND v AUS, India won by 5 wickets
- Semi Final – IND v PAK, India won by 29 runs
- The Final – IND v SL, India won by 6 wickets
- Top Player: Yuvraj Singh(362 runs, 15 wickets)(Man of the Tournament)
- Top Batter: Sachin Tendulkar(482 runs)
- Top Bowler: Zaheer Khan(21 wickets)
Check out 2011 World Cup Final Scorecard here.
5> ICC Champions trophy(2013)
The fifth and last ICC title(so far) for india came in the form of Champions Trophy 2013. The period of 2007-2013 was golden for Indian cricket because as many as 3 ICC trophies won by India came in this period under the captaincy of MS Dhoni. This was completely new & young Indian side in comparison with 2011 world cup winning side. With new opening pairs Rohit Sharma & Shikhar Dhawan, India rocked the whole tournament by beating Pakistan in group stage & Sri Lanka in semi final to reserve their seat for final.
The rain affected final match between India & Host England was shrunken to 20 overs/side, where India managed to score 129/7, thanks to the batting efforts of Virat Kohli & Ravindra Jadeja. Despite, Ravi Bopara superb all-round show, brilliant bowling efforts from Ravi Ashwin in end helps India to clinch ICC Champions Trophy. This winning squad includes like of Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja, Shikhar Dhawan, Ishant Sharma & many others.
Interesting Facts about this ICC trophy won by India-
- With this championship, MS Dhoni became only captain in world to won all ICC tournaments as captain. This record is yet to be break.
- Champions Trophy 2013 gifted India, Rohit Sharma as an opener.
- India didn’t lost any match in this championship.
Journey to Glory-
- Match 1 – IND v SA, India won by 26 runs
- Match 2 – IND v WI, India won by 8 wickets
- Match 3 – IND v PAK, India won by 8 wickets(D/L Method)
- Semi Finals – IND v SL, India won by 8 wickets
- The Finals – IND v ENG, India won by 5 runs(D/L Method)
- Top Batter: Shikhar Dhawan(363 runs)(Golden Bat)
- Top Bowler: Ravindra Jadeja(12 wickets)(Golden Ball)
Look at 2013 Champions Trophy Final Scorecard here.
Interesting fact about ICC trophies won by India:
Overall, India is the only team in world who has ICC trophies in 60 over format(1983), 50 over format(2002, 2011, 2013) & 20 over format(2007). Now, only West Indies can achieve this feat by winning ODI world cup.
Conclusion- ICC trophies won by India
Despite reaching World Test Championship Final twice, India was unable to won that mace, but I believe in later years it will also join the cabinet of ICC trophies won by India. Yes, it’s been 10 years of not winning ICC trophy, but we will hope. ICC ODI world cup is coming later this year in India and we hope that our boys will take the cup back home. Tell me which ICC trophy won by India was your favourite one? Which Championship shocks you most? Drop your opinions in the comment box. Thank you for reading this article to the end. Join me at cricketpunch.com for more content like this. Till then, Good Bye!
As a passionate cricket enthusiast, I have been immersed in the world of cricket for the past 13 years. Through my cricket blogging website, I aim to share my love and knowledge of the game, providing engaging content for fellow cricket fans to enjoy. – Somesh lakhera